Frequently Asked Questions

Travel & Expense Management


Are receipts required?

Yes, detailed receipt images are required for most expense types with the exception of per diem, mileage, and fixed meal/lodging allowances. Unless the grant or department reimbursing the expense states otherwise, receipts for under $75 are not required for the following fees and costs: booking, fuel for rental cars, parking, taxis, tolls, ATM, professional license, and professional memberships dues.

Payment Processing & Compliance's auditor reserves the right to request a receipt for expenses under $75, if more information is needed.

What if I am missing a receipt?

Detailed receipt images or e-receipts are required for airfare, lodging, car rental, and conference registration. Please contact the supplier for a receipt if the original was lost. For other expense types, a Missing Receipt Affidavit can be attached. Depending on the expense, a supervisory or signature may be required.

How do I attach receipts in Concur?

There are multiple ways to attach receipts in Concur depending on the tool that you are using. Instructions are as follows:

Concur mobile app:

  • Within the app, use the ExpenseIt (camera) icon to take a picture of your receipt. The ExpenseIt smart capture will begin
  • An expense item will be created from the receipt, and the expense and receipt image will display under Available Expenses.
  • More information about the Concur mobile app can be found here.

Scanned images:

  • Scan your receipts and save the file(s) to your computer.
  • Click the line item that requires a receipt, then click Attach Receipt on the right side of the screen.
  • Click Browse to locate the file on your computer, then click Attach and Close.
  • Email: (your email address must be verified in your Concur profile).
  • Email your receipt images as attachments to

From your expense report, click Receipts > View Available Receipts. Drag a receipt to the corresponding line item on your report

What is an e-receipt?

The term e-receipt refers to an electronic receipt. Concur has partnered with several airlines, hotel, and car rental companies to provide receipt data directly to their system eliminating the need for a paper receipt. The e-receipts provide full detail and the data comes directly from the supplier. You can elect to sign up for e-receipts in your profile. View or download a list of Concur e-Receipt Providers.

Will an e-receipt supplier provide an e-receipt for a user in the event of a split folio?

A split folio occurs when a hotel guest pays for his/her stay using more than one form of payment. For example, a guest might pay cash or use a personal credit card for personal charges (minibar, in-room movie, etc.) and pay for business expenses with the OneCard. Guests will typically not receive an e-receipt for a hotel stay when there is a split folio. This is due to the hotel's privacy concerns on behalf of the guest or the hotel's limitation in providing e-receipts.

How quickly will an e-receipt be available for submission on an expense report?

Concur states that the service level objective is to send e-receipts to the system within 48 hours of a traveler checking out of a hotel, booking a flight, or returning the rental car. E-receipts from international properties may take longer than 48 hours.

How long should I keep my original receipts?

Receipts need to be retained until your expense report is processed and reconciled to the monthly level reports. If travel expenses are being charged to a grant, then follow the guidelines of the grant for record retention. If traveling on grant funds, consult your grant administrator for clarification.

Travel Bookings

Do I have to use  Anthony Travel and Concur for online booking?

The University of Pittsburgh’s PantherExpress Travel & Expense Management Program has been implemented in order to provide competitive pricing for University travelers. Discounted rates are based on volume (the more travelers who use the system, the better the rates); therefore, University travelers booking through Concur and Anthony Travel will allow the University to negotiate the best rates with major airlines.

Are there discounts for booking flights substantially ahead of travel dates?

Yes, studies have shown that prices increase substantially within 21 days of a trip and again within 14 days. The University encourages travelers to use the PantherExpress Travel & Expense Management program to book flights well in advance in order to take advantage of the 14+-21+ day discounts.

Can I contact an Anthony Travel Agent to arrange travel?

Yes, Anthony Travel Agents are onsite and available to help University employees arrange travel for themselves, other employees, and guests of the University. 

How do I book a hotel that is designated as a preferred location for a conference?

The conference organizer may have a dedicated site for you to book a hotel room. You may choose to book using the information provided by the conference. You can also check if the rate in Concur is cheaper than booking with the conference site.

How can I get frequent flier miles or points on my business travel?

You can add frequent flier or points information in the Profile Settings section of Concur. As you make your reservations, your frequent flier number or rewards information will be added to the itinerary.

Can I select my seat in Concur?

Yes, you must select your flight first, and then click the Select Seat option. The legend will show you which seats are applicable to your flight. If you need further verification that your seat selection has been confirmed, contact Anthony Travel for confirmation.

Will the system notify me if there is a change in flight schedule?

University employees can download the TripIt App at no cost. TripIt will advise you of delays, cancellations, gate changes, and carousel numbers for luggage pickup.

How do I ensure that my name matches my state/government issued photo ID?

Your name is populated into Concur directly from your University Human Resource record. Before you make your first booking, check your name in Profile Settings against your state/government issued photo ID. Make sure that your name in Concur matches your name on your state/government issued photo ID. If the two do not match, your travel could be adversely affected. In Concur, you will be able to add a middle name and suffix to match your state/government issued ID. However, if your first name and/or last name is incorrect, please contact the Payroll department to update your record.

Do I need to provide my date of birth and gender to book travel?

No, this information is being imported from the University's Human Resource system as it appears on your employee record. This information is needed in order to comply with Travel Security Administration's (TSA) Secure Flight program. Note - this information will be required when booking for guests of the University.

How do I change my airline ticket?

After purchasing an airline ticket, if you change a reservation and it becomes necessary to reissue the original ticket for the new itinerary, a $25 fee will be charged to reissue the original ticket. You must contact Anthony Travel to have an airline ticket reissued. You cannot have an airline ticket reissued using the online booking tool.

What are unused tickets?

The term unused tickets refers to a nonrefundable ticket that is not used, usually due to a change of plans by the traveler. A credit is applied on the airline that you can use at a later date. Travel often must be completed at least one year from the original travel date, and chance fee for most airlines is at least $150. Your unused tickets booked in Concur will be visible (in Concur) and available for you to apply to your next trip.

How do I pay for my reservations?

When you reserve airfare, hotel, and car rentals, your OneCard number is used to purchase your reservations. If you do not have a OneCard, visit the System Access & Training page to find out how to obtain one.

How can I view the itinerary for flights that I have already booked?

In Concur, click Travel >  Upcoming Trips. For more detailed information, click the appropriate trip name in the Trip Name/Description column, and then click View Itinerary. If you have downloaded the Concur Mobile app,  or the TripIt app, itinerary information will be available there as well.

Is optional car rental insurance reimbursable?

No, when traveling on University business, and booking through the University’s Travel & Expense Management Program, insurance is included with the rental. Insurance is provided by both the University's insurance policy and the OneCard. The traveler will not be reimbursed for optional insurance purchased from a car rental company.

What should I do if I’m involved in an automobile accident while using a University-owned or rented vehicle?

You must report the accident immediately-- follow the Office of Risk Management reporting instructions.

If you are a University employee and were injured in an automobile accident while performing your work duties, Workers' Compensation information may be found here.

If you rented the car using your OneCard, you should also refer to the Guide of Benefits that came with your card. This information is available on this page, under the section titled Benefits of the OneCard.

Do University-approved travel agents charge fees for their services?

Yes. Online bookings are $10.  Agent assisted bookings for domestic and international travel are $25. There are no fees charged for hotels or car rentals.

May I buy first class airfare when traveling on University business?

No, you may not purchase first class airfares for University business. However, it is possible to purchase coach/economy class fares and use your frequent flier miles to upgrade, if you choose to do so.

Concur Profile & System

How do I log into Concur?

The Concur system is available through the portal > search for Concur. 

What if I do not have Concur on the portal or cannot login?

Contact Customer Service for assistance.

Is there currently a service outage in Concur?

If the system appears to be running slower than normal or you are receiving timeout error messages you can check to see if there is a service outage by going to the Concur home page, scroll to bottom of page and click on “Service Status (North America). There you will see the current service status. In the top right corner of the screen you can click “Subscribe to Updates” if you wish to receive updates when the system is experiencing issues.

Why do I need to create a profile?

Your profile controls multiple critical functions within Concur. If you book airfare, the name in your profile must match your state/government issued ID. If you would like to have another employee arrange travel and prepare expense reports on your behalf, you must assign him/her as a delegate (see instructions below). To take advantage of the mobile technology and electronic receipts, you must activate e-receipts, verify your email and setup you mobile PIN. For additional details on profile settings, please refer to the User Profile Settings Quick Start Guide.

How do I become a delegate or assign a delegate to prepare travel and expenses?

Travelers are responsible for assigning delegates to prepare travel and expenses in Concur. Go to Profile Settings > Expense Delegates in Concur to assign a delegate.

  • To assign a delegate to book travel, select Can Book Travel, Can Submit Requests, and Receives Email.
  • To assign a delegate to prepare expense reports, select Can Prepare and Receives Email.

How do I act on behalf of another user for travel, expenses, or approvals?

If you have been designated as a traveler's delegate to manage travel and expenses on the traveler's behalf, go to Profile, and select Act on Behalf of Another User. In the Search by Name or ID field, find the traveler's name and click Start Session. In the upper right portion of the screen, you will see the traveler's name highlighted in green as Acting As. You are now acting as that person, and you will be able to complete the delegate functions. For details, please see the User Profile Settings Quick Start Guide for information on how delegates are assigned.

Who can make changes to a Concur profile?

A traveler can modify his/her own profile in Concur. If the traveler has assigned a delegate, the delegate can make all changes to the traveler's profile except Request/Expense Delegate assignments and Mobile Registrations. Any assignment of delegation must be entered by the traveler. Delegates must obtain the traveler's approval when making any changes to the traveler's profile.

Which mobile apps should I download?

The following free apps are highly recommended and are available through your device’s apps store.

Concur® for Mobile makes it simple to start your expense report before you end your trip. This app complements our web-based solution by allowing you to manage anything expense-related wherever you are. It also allows you to immediately approve or reject expense reports via manager access and capture receipt images.

ExpenseIt is an enhancement to the features in Concur® for Mobile and takes it one step further with optical character recognition (OCR) for receipt imaging. Receipt images taken with this application will be categorized and populated with the receipt information, lessening the data entry for expense reconciliation. Note - keep paper receipts until expenses are reconciled to your level reports.

TripIt Pro saves you time by creating a master itinerary for your trip that you can access anytime. TripIt will keep your itinerary, reservations, meetings, and other trip information all in one place, and it makes sharing with others easy. TripIt will also send travel alerts (e.g. boarding gate information and flight delays or cancellations).

In addition to the apps above, Concur has partnered with several suppliers to provide a host of mobile apps for travel and expense management. These additional apps are located Concur's App Center.

** You will need to set a Mobile PIN by logging into the Concur Application. Mobile Registration can be found under Profile – Profile Settings. For further instructions, please refer to the User Guide.

How do I update my default account number for a Request?

Contact Customer Service.

Expense Reports

When should I complete an expense report?

Expense reports must be completed within 30 days of the end date of your trip. Please submit only one report per trip with all expenses for the the trip. Use this list of subcodes for an overview of the available subcodes and a description of when they should be used. Please note that all receipt images must be in the system or provided to the delegate and all credit cards charges must be available in Concur. OneCard charges are sent from the merchant to Visa and then to Concur and thus there will be some delay before those charges appear in the Concur system for reconciliation.

How can I track an expense report in the system?

In-process and unpaid expense reports can be tracked in Expense. From the Concur home page, click Open Reports or Expense. Open Reports will display the current status of the report. Click the report to view the details. Click Details > Audit Trail to review actions taken on the report. If the expense report has already been paid, an expense history can be found by clicking the Report Library link in Expense.

Is there a report available for expense report details?

Yes, the report is available under the Print/Email option in the expense report. From the print/email drop-down menu, select University of Pittsburgh > Detailed Report. The report will show the report header information (such as the report key), which will appear on your monthly level reports, and line level details including account numbers. Select the Show Itemizations checkbox in the upper left corner of the report window to show any itemizations that were entered on the expense report. The report can then be printed, emailed, or saved as a PDF.

Why am I being asked to consolidate Expense Reports?

It is best practice to consolidate expenses on a single Expense Report by trip, travel purpose, or business purpose.

This benefits the traveler by reducing the time and effort of entering Expense Report header information on multiple reports. It also makes it easier for your approver to review and track expenses across the department. Lastly, consolidating expenses onto a single report provides savings to the University as we are charged a fee per report.

When do I need to consolidate Expense Reports?

It is best practice to consolidate expenses on a single Expense Report when the expenses are for the same or similar trips, events, or purposes. Examples of these could include, but are not limited to:

  • All expenses for a trip should be on a single expense report, such as meal charges and travel charges; booking fees and airfare expenses must be on the same report
  • Membership dues, conference registration for the same organization’s event, and airfare to attend can be placed on a single Expense Report referencing that organization
  • Expenses for multiple people at the same event, such as event registrations or meal costs, paid for on a single OneCard should be consolidated on a single Expense Report
  • All purchases of supplies or materials for a business entertainment event, like recruiting or student affairs events, should be placed on a single Expense Report that captures all expenses for the event
  • Recurring events or trips that serve the same or a similar purpose can be consolidated on a monthly Expense Report, for example January Recruiting Expenses.

How do I consolidate multiple Expense Reports?

If you have expenses that you need to move from one open Expense Report to another, you can use the Move button to move line items from one Expense Report to another existing report or to a new report. Below you can find a summary of the steps to consolidate Expense Reports when you have multiple open Expense Reports. Our training team is working on updating our quick start guides and quick start videos to have tutorials with visuals available.

If you need to consolidate Expense Reports that have already been submitted to your approver but not yet been sent to Payment Processing, you will first need to recall your Expense Report. If you need to adjust an Expense Report that was submitted to Payment Processing or have other questions about the process, please contact Customer Service.

Steps to consolidate Expense Reports when you have multiple reports that are not yet submitted:

  1. Open the Expense Report with the expenses to be moved to a consolidated report.
  2. Select the expense line item(s) by clicking the checkbox(es) at the beginning of each line.
  3. Click the “Move” drop-down box in the top right of the section. Here you can choose to move the expenses to an existing Expense Report (by report name) or To New Report.
  4. Verify that the expenses are on the correct report and that any receipts moved with the expense line item(s).
  5. If the receipt is not attached, attach and proceed as before.

How are exchange rates calculated?

The travel expense reporting system uses OANDA Rates® for currency conversion. The exchange rates provided by OANDA are averages for the global foreign exchange market gathered from frequently updated sources, including OANDA Forex trading Platform, leading market data vendors, and contributing financial institutions. The data is filtered and stored in a proprietary data repository.

How do I change the city if the system does not recognize it as a valid city?

Occasionally, the system may not recognize a city that pre-populates from the OneCard charge. In this case, select the closest major city from the drop-down menu.

How do I itemize a business meal to separate the expense for alcohol when alcohol is not reimbursed or permitted on the account?

  1. Select a Group Business Meal expense type, and enter the required information, including the total charge of the meal.
  2. Click Itemize and select the appropriate expense types such as Group Business Meal for the charges that are not for alcohol, and either Personal or Unallowable for the alcohol charges.
    • Choose Personal Expense (non-reimbursable) if alcohol is not an allowable expense for this meal and will not be reimbursed by the University. Enter the amount for the alcohol, and click Save.
    • Select the expense type for the meal, enter the food portion of the meal, and click Save.
  3. The total of the meal and alcohol should equal the total charge.

What if an advance deposit was charged for a hotel reservation?

If an advance deposit was required, and the deposit was paid with a OneCard, there will be two credit card transactions: one for the deposit, and one for the balance after checkout. The deposit should be categorized as Lodging > Deposits/Payments, and the transaction for the remaining balance should be categorized as Lodging. The full daily rate should be assigned, and the last itemization should be added as a negative amount for the advance deposit. See the User Guide for details.

If the deposit is paid on your personal card, reimbursement cannot occur until after checkout and should be categorized as one lodging expense.

I have incurred currency conversion charges for international transactions while traveling for the University. What expense type should I use?

The expense type for currency conversion charges is ATM/Bank Fees.

What is a cash advance fee, and is it an allowable expense?

Fees for using the ATM withdrawal feature are allowable when incurred using the OneCard and should be categorized as ATM/Bank fees.

What is a foreign exchange fee, and is it considered an allowable expense?

Foreign exchange fees are charged by the credit card provider and are incurred when making a purchase in a foreign currency. These are allowable expenses and should be categorized as foreign transaction fees. When using the OneCard internationally, foreign exchange fees will be incurred per transaction. Visit this page for details about foreign transaction fees with OneCard.

If a hotel issues me a credit after checkout, will I receive an e-receipt for the credit?

No, the hotel will not send e-receipts for credits issued after checkout.

What is per diem, and is it the same as a travel allowance?

Per diem is an allowance for meals and incidental expenses. In Concur, per diem is referred to as travel allowance. The allowance includes incidental expenses for which you would not be reimbursed such as taxes, tips, and laundry. Concur uses per diem rates from the following sources:

  • The General Services Administration (GSA): GSA establishes per diem rates for destinations within the Continental United States (CONUS).
  • The State Department: The State Department establishes foreign rates (for example, Russia, Aruba, Bahamas, Europe, etc.).
  • The Department of Defense (DOD): The DOD establishes non-foreign rates such as Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam.

What per diem rate do I use if the city to which I am traveling is not listed?

Concur uses GSA per diem, which are automatically loaded into the Concur system. Concur will calculate the per diem based on the itinerary that you used to create your expense report.

Should I use per diem for my meals and incidentals?

The University supports claiming per diem for meals and incidental expenses in accordance with GSA guidelines. To apply a per diem, create or import an itinerary into your expense report to generate the travel allowance. Exclude any meals that were provided by an external source or categorized as a group business meal in-travel. Reasonable exclusions should also be taken for the first and last day of travel based on your travel time.

What should I do if I charged meals to my OneCard?

If you used your OneCard to pay for individual meals while claiming per diem, those expenses should be marked as Actual Meal Cost (applied to per diem). This will reduce the reimbursable per diem amount. If per diem for the total trip has been exceeded, the overage will be deducted from any other reimbursable expenses on the report.

If your OneCard was used for individual meals and per diem is not claimed, those expenses should be marked as Actual Meal Cost (instead of per diem). The total amount of these charges cannot exceed the daily per diem rate. The maximum the University will reimburse is per diem.

Is there a spending limit if I am hosting a group business meal or reception?

Yes, reimbursement for group business meals is limited to $70, which includes the tip, and receptions are limited to $25 per person, which includes the tip. An image of the original receipt must be attached to the expense report, and the names of each participant must be listed or attached as attendees in the expense report.

Can I attach a list of attendee names for large events?

Yes, if you have a list of attendees with affiliations (in accordance with University policy FN 28), then you can attach the list as part of the receipts packet rather than individually listing names in the expense report. To do this, select one of the 10+ or Reception expense types. When entering attendee names, select Advance Search, and select Group Event 10+ Attendees in the Attendee Type drop-down menu. Enter the name of the event or group and click Add to Expense. This will add the group to the attendee list. Then, enter the total number of attendees in the group to Attendee Count. Use the Attach Receipt function to attach the list of names and the receipt information. Multiple receipts can be attached to an expense. See the User Guide for details.

Can I create a group for a frequently used list of attendees?

Yes, if you have listed the attendees on an expense report, you can select the checkbox at the beginning of each name, then click the Create Group button in the right corner of the Attendee section. This group will be available to use and edit for any future expenses in Advanced Search. Groups can also be created under Profile > Profile Settings > Favorite Attendees. From the Attendee Groups section, the group can also be shared with other Concur users if you select the Send Copy function. See the User Guide for details.

Can I be reimbursed for telephone calls while traveling?

Yes, you can be reimbursed for all business-related calls, but you are limited to one personal call (of reasonable length) per day.

When using my personal vehicle for business, is mileage computed from my place of business or from my home?

Mileage is computed from where you leave to start your business travel to your destination. If you started from home on a normal business day, then you need to deduct your daily commute to the office. For example, if traveling from your home to the airport and back home you will enter your home address into Concur and the airport address and choose round trip. You will then click on deduct commute and select deduct round trip. The system will calculate the mileage and will deduct your daily work commute. This follows the IRS guidelines for mileage reimbursement.

The mileage allowance covers vehicle operating costs such as fuel, repairs, and insurance.

When should I see my OneCard charges in the Concur system?

If you used your OneCard, it will typically take anywhere from 3 to 8 business days for the charges to be imported into Concur. The system is dependent upon when the merchant sends the transactions to MasterCard, and when MasterCard sends the transactions to Concur.

The expense report cannot be submitted until all credit card charges are available in Concur. The traveler and the travelers' delegates will receive emails from Concur as card charges are added. As soon as the card charges are available, you will be able to process your expense report.

If you are a delegate, verify with your traveler that all credit card expenses and receipts are available in Concur for expense report submission.

How do I allocate my expenses to a different General Ledger (GL) account number or multiple GL account numbers?

In Concur, the account number at the report header can be used for the entire report. If the report needs to be split between multiple GL accounts, use Allocations to assign accounts (Details > Allocations).

Are the costs of vaccinations and immunizations reimbursable if they are required to enter a country that I am visiting for University business?

Yes. Attach original receipts to your expense report. Make sure to obtain a vaccination certificate and to carry it with you during your trip.

May I be reimbursed for the cost to acquire or renew my passport and to obtain a visa for my University business trip to another country?

If the Visa costs, passport, or TSA Pre-Check fees are for a legitimate business purpose and approved, in advance, by the department, it may be reimbursed. You must attach original receipts to your expense report. See the Policy FN 28 for additional information.

How should I submit an agent fee expense?

Use the Booking Fees expense type. This expense type does not require a receipt.

How will charges appear on my levels?

Reimbursable transactions will appear as Payables with the employee name and report key. Credit card transactions will appear as OneCard journal entries, and the report key, employee name, and report name will be in the line description.

How do I take a reduction in an expense report?

If you need to reduce a reimbursable amount for budgetary or other reasons, use the Miscellaneous expense type, and enter a negative amount in the Amount field. For example, if the actual mileage calculation is $351.14, but the maximum reimbursable amount is $200, you would enter a Miscellaneous line for [-151.14] to account for the budgeted reimbursable amount.

How do I reimburse a guest or non-employee?

To request payments to guest speakers or non-employees, create an expense report in Concur under your own profile but select the Pitt Guest Expense Policy in the report header. When choosing this policy, additional fields for Vendor ID (Payee Name) and Vendor Site Code (Payee Address) will appear. Select the appropriate payee name and address. If the name and address cannot be found, the supplier record must be created by the Payment Processing department. A W9 or W8-BEN is needed in order to create the record, and it can be attached to the expense report using the New Vendor Supporting Documents expense type. The expense report can be submitted with the W9 or W8-BEN to create the supplier. See the User Guide for details.

How do I review/submit an expense report a delegate has entered for me?

Delegates cannot submit expense reports they enter on behalf of someone else. When a delegate has completed an Expense Report he clicks Notify Employee. An email notification is sent to the employee. When the employee logs into Concur, on the Homepage the expense report can be found under Open Reports. The status will be Ready for Review.

The employee can click the Expense Report name to open the report, and after reviewing the report, click Submit Report. If the employee has additions or modifications to the expense report before it is submitted, they need to have the delegate open the expense report and click Mark as Not Complete. The Delegate can then continue working in the report, and click Notify Employee when completed.

What is Expense Assistant?

Expense Assistant is an automated expense report feature that was created by Concur. When the feature is turned on, it begins to build an expense report from available, eligible expenses automatically as the expense is loaded into the system. It does this by adding the expenses to an open Expense Report that may be created by the user or auto-created by Expense Assistant.

Any line items that have not been reviewed will be bolded so that the user knows they were automated and to review them. The user will also get a weekly summary email of automated transactions on an open Expense Report. To stop receiving the weekly summary emails the user must either disable the feature or submit the Expense Report.

Expense Assistant will not submit an expense report. You must still, as always, review and submit the report to your manager for approval. It is best practice to submit only one Expense Report per trip or to consolidate business entertainment expenses onto one report per month whenever possible.

To turn on Expense Assistant, go to the Expense tab within Concur. You will see a blue blue box with an information icon with “Enable Expense Assistant” bolded between the Active Reports and Available Expenses sections. Click on the "Learn More" link to follow instructions to enable the feature. To disable Expense Assistant, click the “Stop this process” link that appears between the Active Reports and Available Expenses sections on the Expense tab within Concur.

Concur has provided an Expense Assistant FAQ with answers to many questions.


How can I delegate approvals to another employee?

Travelers can delegate approval authority to another employee either permanently or on a temporary basis. To do this, go to Profile Settings > Expense Delegates and select either Can Approve or Can Approve Temporarily, and enter the dates for temporary approval. Always check Receives Approval Emails so that the delegate will know when approvals are available.

How are approvals handled?

Every employee is assigned a default General Ledger (GL) account number and default approver. When charging in total to the default GL account number, the expense will be routed to the default approver.

When the expense report is charged in any part to a GL account number other than the default number, the system will use the Cost Object Approval (COA). COA approvers have been assigned based on entity and department combinations. If multiple entity/department combinations are charged on the expense report, then multiple approvers will receive the expense report for approval. Each approver will only be responsible for his/her assigned accounts but will be able to view the entire expense report. The report will not go to Payment Processing for audit until all approvers have approved the report.

Can I assign another employee to review expenses before I approve them?

If you would like to have another employee review expenses in your queue for approval before you approve them, you can grant them that function without granting approval rights. To do this, go to Profile > Profile Settings > Expense Delegates. Click Add, and select the person to whom you wish to grant access. Select Can Preview For Approver and Receives Approval Emails options for that person and save.

How do I reassign an expense report for a higher level of approval?

As an approver, you can forward the expense report to another approver for final approval. If you are the designated approver, Concur's Approve and Forward buttons will be visible to you when you are reviewing the expense. Click Forward, select the approver, and submit the expense.

If you have received the expense as a Cost Object Approver, you will need to open the Approval Workflow under Details to add a user for approval. Click the Add icon, enter the approver's name, and submit the expense for approval.


Review the OneCard section listed below under Purchasing & Payments.

Purchasing & Payments

*Note: miscellaneous or "nonstandard" commodities include purchases such as biological materials, laboratory chemicals, software, controlled substances, event-related bookings, blood products, and HIV p24 Antigen Capture kits. Visit this page for the full listing of these commodities.

Biological Materials*

Are there special requirements for purchasing biological materials from a new supplier?

Yes, this is a miscellaneous or nonstandard commodity. There are special requirements for purchasing biological materials from new suppliers, visit this page to learn more. Biological materials must be purchased from University-wide contracted suppliers or suppliers already established in the supplier database as viewed in the PantherExpress System. If you need to obtain biological materials from a new supplier, then you must follow this process.

The same process applies to purchases of laboratory chemicals.

Please be advised that when submitting a Biological Materials or Laboratory Chemicals form that it can take up to 2 weeks for completion.

Contract Signing Authority

Who has authority to sign a contract?

The University's bylaws grant signing authority for contracts to the Chancellor who many then further delegate authority. The Chancellor has delegated signing authority for the purchase of goods and services to the Chief Financial Officer who has in turn, strategically further delegated contractual signing authority. Only those individuals receiving this specific written contracting authority may sign contracts on behalf of the University.

Contracts presented by a supplier: regardless of the contract value, if your department is being asked to sign a contract by a supplier, the contract should be sent to Purchasing Services for review and signature. If required, Purchasing Services will coordinate a review with the Office of University Counsel.

Contracts using standard University terms and conditions: the University has developed several standard contracts for services.

For agreements valued at $10,000 or less, you can contact the supplier and determine if it will accept one of these contracts with no changes. If so, you should have the supplier and a responsible department administrator sign the agreement. If the supplier wishes to propose changes, request a written summary of the changes and forward to Purchasing Services for review, approval, and signature.

For agreements valued greater than $10,000, please contact Customer Service.

Competitive Bidding

When is competitive bidding required?

Competitive bidding is required whenever a planned purchase of goods or services will be $10,000 or higher. University policy FN 05 outlines the competitive bidding requirements. It is important to note that competitive bidding is not required when using University contracted suppliers.

If your department needs to do competitive bidding for an order of $10,000 or greater, you should submit a web inquiry through Customer Service. State that you are requesting assistance with a competitive bid.

Competitive bidding is advantageous for several reasons. It ensures that your pricing will be competitive within the marketplace. If a supplier is in a competitive situation, it is more likely to provide its most aggressive pricing and other terms. Bidding also ensures you are in compliance with University policy and other applicable federal and state regulations for grants and research.

Diverse Business Enterprise (DBE)

Should I use a *Diverse Business Enterprise (DBE) even if there is a contracted supplier that offers the product?

No - only if the contracted supplier happens to be a DBE. The first choice in supplier selection is always to use a contracted supplier. The process for determining contracted suppliers considers price, quality, delivery, service and business management in an effort to obtain the best overall value for the University.

At the outset of this process every effort is made to include qualified DBE’s for consideration. If it is discovered that the DBE represents the best overall value to the University during this process, then it is awarded contracted supplier status.

There are several DBE suppliers that are also University-wide contracted suppliers. You can find these contracted DBE suppliers on the contracted supplier directory, sorting by the DBE column. If a DBE is not listed as a contracted supplier, then select a suitable non-DBE supplier from the contracted supplier directory.

If you are a researcher attempting to fulfill the requirements of a subcontracting plan, consider using one of the DBE non-contracted suppliers.

*The term "Diverse" Business Enterprise (DBE) shown here = the term "Disadvantaged" Business Enterprise (DBE) used in the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) guide.

[Guest] Speaker/Participation Content Recording Agreement (previously referred to as "Guest Speaker Agreement")

Are departments required to complete a speaker agreement for guest speakers/honorarium recipients?

Departments are not required to complete a speaker agreement for guest speakers/honorarium recipients. If you desire to record speakers or retain rights to the content presented, you must document the speaker’s grant of permission and transfer of rights in writing. In this case, please use the Speaker/Participation Content Recording Agreement.

Do payment requests for visitors require a Speaker or Visitor Agreement?

Payment requests for visitors do not require a Speaker or Visitor Agreement. Consistent with previous practices, a Directed or Sole Source Justification form will not be required, nor will a certificate of insurance. If you desire to record speakers or retain rights to the content presented, you must document the speaker’s grant of permission and transfer of rights in writing utilizing the Speaker/Participation Content Recording Agreement.

How do I pay guest speakers from outside the United States?

You may have guest speakers from outside the US. However, they must have the proper travel documents if there are to be any payments (honoraria). See the Foreign National page for payment requirements.

How do I make an honorarium payment? 

If you need to pay an honorarium recipient, honorarium payments for visitors are now processed through Concur. Examples of visitors include members of Boards of Visitors, guest speakers, panel members, judges, peer or program review members, and symposium speakers. The University may agree to either reimburse visitors’ travel & business (T&B) expenses or only pay an honorarium. In some cases, the University may also agree to both (reimbursement and honorarium payment). Visit this page for more information.

Gifts & Gift Cards

Can my department give gifts or a gift card to faculty, staff, or students to show our appreciation?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, gift cards are to be considered the same as cash. Therefore, purchases of gift cards may not be reimbursed. Employees may use their own funds to give gifts (of any type) to anyone (staff, student, friends, family, etc) and may take up a collection or “pass the hat” to purchase any type of gift to be given to anyone.

  • Employees will not be reimbursed for personal gifts or other personal expressions of appreciation given to anyone.
  • Employees may not use University funds for gifts or personal expressions of appreciation.
  • Employee’s personal funds (individual or group) must not be combined with University funds at any time.
  • Personal funds may not be deposited into a University account (bank account, petty cash fund, etc.) with the expectation that the University will pay for the gift.
Insurance Requirements for Contracts

Why is insurance for contracts required?

The Office of Risk Management has posted information and guidelines on its FAQ regarding insurance requirements for contracts. Please note that this page is restricted to users with access to PittNet (wireless or wired). If you are unable to access the Insurance FAQ, please refer to these instructions on how to connect to PittNet.

What is required to waive or reduce an insurance requirement?

The Purchasing Services Department will work with individual University departments on a case-by-case basis in regards to any requests by suppliers to changes to the University’s minimum insurance requirements. Simply contact your Purchasing Services procurement specialist to discuss any requests for changes to the University’s minimum insurance requirements.

Kindles, eBooks, eJournals, Mobile Apps & Amazon

Can a Kindle be purchased from a site such as Amazon, and can end-users also order eBooks, eJournals, and business-related mobile apps?

Kindles, eBooks, eJournals and business-related mobile apps not sold through Pitt IT's Software Distribution Services may be purchased on a personal credit card.

How is reimbursement handled?

Reimbursement for the faculty/staff member’s personal credit card is done by submitting a Travel and Business (T&B) request through Concur. Justification of the purchase is required.

Can you provide more detailed guidance on these types of purchases?

For more information about purchasing software, visit this page and review the Software section.

Laboratory Chemicals*

Are there special requirements for purchasing laboratory chemicals from a new supplier?

Yes, this is a miscellaneous or nonstandard commodity. There are special requirements for purchasing laboratory chemicals from new suppliers, visit this page to learn more.

Laboratory chemicals must be purchased from University-wide contracted suppliers or suppliers already established in the supplier database as viewed in PRISM or the PantherExpress System. If you need to obtain laboratory chemicals from a new supplier, then you must follow this process. The same process applies to purchases of biological materials.

Please be advised that when submitting a Laboratory Chemicals or Biological Materials form that it can take up to 2 weeks for completion.

Loaner & Trial Equipment

My department wants to borrow a supplier-owned item and use it on a trial (no-cost) basis. The supplier will deliver the equipment. What do I need to do? Who is responsible for initiating loan agreements?

Prior to accepting the item for use, University departmental purchasers are responsible for processing a Loan for Use Agreement for all no-cost loan transactions on equipment requested from suppliers on a trial, demonstration, or evaluation basis.

Do I need to submit the Loan for Use Agreement to Purchasing Services prior to accepting the supplier-owned loaner item?

If the fair market value of supplier-owned equipment is less than or equal to $10,000 and you are acquiring them using the Loan for Use Agreement, the University departmental purchaser does not need to submit anything to Purchasing Services. In this case, appropriate departmental personnel may sign and authorize the Loan for Use Agreement thus accepting responsibility for all commitments thereof.

However, if the fair market value of the supplier-owned equipment is greater than $10,000, the departmental purchaser must submit a Loan for Use Agreement to Purchasing Services for review, approval, and execution. The departmental purchaser is responsible for adhering to the terms and conditions of the equipment loan and for the documentation, which establishes the binding agreement.

Do I need to follow the competitive bidding guidelines described in University Policy FN 05 - Competitive Bidding, for supplier-owned loaner equipment?

Policy FN 05 applies only if a department is considering purchasing the equipment. This policy does not apply to the actual loan of supplier-owned equipment.

How do I determine the fair market value of the item?

The supplier will be able to give you the fair market value of the item.

How long may my department keep supplier-owned equipment?

A Loan for Use Agreement is to be used when suppliers are loaning equipment to the University on a short-term, trial basis. All loaned property should be returned to the supplier at the end of a mutually agreed upon term and no later than six calendar months upon receipt.

How do I apply for a OneCard and who is eligible? 

The OneCard is available to all faculty and staff. Visit this page for information about how to obtain a OneCard

Are there any limits applied to the OneCard, and are there options?

Yes, applicants select an option type on the OneCard application. Visit this page for information about limits and options. 

How do I activate my OneCard?

When you receive your OneCard, follow the instructions to activate your card. You will be prompted to set your own pin #, whether you activate your card online or over the phone.

Will the OneCard affect my personal credit? 

No, the OneCard is University -billed and University -paid. It will not affect your personal credit. 

Can I use my OneCard to book travel for other employees or guests? 

Yes; however, you are responsible for reconciling those charges on an expense report. In this case, charges for multiple people can be combined on one expense report.

If I have a non-reimbursable charge on my OneCard, how do I reimburse the University? 

Any OneCard charges that are non-reimbursable should be marked as Personal, and will automatically be deducted from any cash reimbursements owed to the traveler. If the cash reimbursement is not sufficient to offset the non-reimbursable amount, the traveler should make a check payable to the University of Pittsburgh and send it to the Payment Processing department:  200 Craig Hall (CRAIG 210) Pittsburgh, PA 15260. The 6-digit Report Key number must be included in the check memo field. 

How do I request ATM withdrawal capability on my OneCard? 

OneCards can be opened for ATM withdrawals by request. To initiate a OneCard change, please complete a OneCard Change Request form which can be found on the Forms page.

What do I do with my OneCard if I am transferring to a different department at the University?

You should keep the OneCard as it will go with you to your new department. As your Human Resources employee record is updated, your default account number and default approver will be updated in the Concur system. Please wait 7-10 business days before submitting an expense report to be reconciled to ensure that your employee record has been changed.

You can verify the changes have been made in your Concur profile for the default account by viewing Expense Settings and verify your default approver by checking the Company Information in your Profile Settings. For more information about user profile settings, please review the Quick Start Guides on the Concur page.

Your new administrator must complete a  OneCard Change Request form to change your university address in the J.P. Morgan system. Once submitted, this form will go directly to the Credit Card administrator who will make the change. OneCard Change Request forms can be found on the Forms page.

For any other questions or if your profile has not updated after 7-10 days, please contact Customer Service.

Can I increase my OneCard limit for just the period that I’m traveling? 

Yes. To initiate a OneCard change, please complete a OneCard Change Request form. OneCard Change Request forms can be found on the Forms page.

If I need to reach J.P. Morgan to discuss my card, what information will they need from me? 

Visit this page for details about contacting J.P. Morgan. 

Will I receive a credit card statement each month? 

No, statements are online through PaymentNet where you can view your statement.  If the card has no transactions during the month, a statement is not available. 

What if my OneCard is declined? 

Please contact Purchase, Pay & Travel Customer Service

How will I receive my OneCard? 

Your OneCard will arrive to you at the address you requested it to be mailed to on your application.

What should I do if a cardholder leaves the University? 

The card should be collected by the business manager and destroyed. To cancel the card, please complete a OneCard   Change Request form. OneCard Change Request forms can be found on the Forms page. All outstanding charges and receipts should be submitted on a Concur expense report prior to the cardholder’s departure, or a delegate will need to submit the outstanding charges on the cardholder's behalf.

How should I pay for dues, professional memberships, registrations, and subscriptions? 

All dues, professional memberships, registrations, and subscriptions should be made using the OneCard.  

When do OneCard charges appear on my departmental account number? 

Since the OneCard is University- billed and University- paid, the charge does not go directly to your departmental account number. You are required to complete an expense report in Concur, which reconciles OneCard charges to the correct departmental account number. Once the expense report is approved, a departmental account number will be charged. 

Should the charges on the OneCard be tax exempt? 

The University’s Federal Tax ID number is printed on the OneCard. This is to facilitate tax exemption in states/locations in which the University is tax exempt. The University’s tax exemption certificates can be found here

Other Payment Request (OPR) Specialty Form

Can the Other Payment Request Specialty Form in the PantherExpress System be used to pay for products from a supplier or vendor?

The Other Payment Request Specialty Form may not be used to purchase goods. Purchasing goods through the OPR Specialty Form is a violation of University policy. Goods must be purchased through a Purchase Order in the PantherExpress System or on a P-Card to protect your department and the University. The University is not protected if goods are paid for through the OPR Specialty Form because the University’s terms and conditions are not associated with this transaction. This means that you are at significant risk for the following:

  • Little or no protection against lost, stolen or damaged goods
  • No formal proof of order.
  • Default acceptance of the supplier’s terms. These terms are often unfavorable.
  • Minimal or no warranty protection.
  • Difficulty returning or replacing items.
Payment Requests & ID Requirements

Are Social Security Numbers (SSN) or tax payer identification numbers (TIN) required on payment requests (Disbursements, Travel & Business, etc.)?

Yes, a SSN is required on all payment requests submitted to Payment Processing. The SSN is required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax reporting purposes only.

IRS Publication 1281, A Guide to Backup Withholding on Missing and Incorrect Names/TINs states that the University must withhold 28% of certain taxable payments if the payee fails to furnish a correct SSN or taxpayer identification number (TIN).

Payment Status

Can I see payment status information?

Payments to Foreign Nationals
View this page for details regarding payments to foreign nationals.
Placing Orders

How do I purchase goods for my department?

To purchase goods, departments must use a University approved purchase order generated from the University's PantherExpress System. In order to minimize risks to your department, you should always purchase using the University's standard terms and conditions of purchase. The only purchases covered by these terms are those done through a University purchase order from PantherExpress System or through a contract approved by the Purchasing Services Department and the Office of University Counsel. If you're buying without a purchase order or approved contract, you may severely limit your department's ability to file a claim against the supplier if the goods are defective, cause injuries, or cause property damage. Additionally, if the goods are damaged, late or incorrect, you may have little or no rights to have the goods returned or replaced.

1. Check to see if the product is available from one of the University-wide contracted suppliers. If so, then you should purchase it on PantherExpress System. This is the fastest, easiest way to buy quality products at discounted prices with many other pre-negotiated benefits and contractual protections.

2. If a University-wide contract is not available, then the proper method for ordering goods is a University of Pittsburgh purchase order generated through the PantherExpress System as these
purchase orders carry the University's standard contractual terms and conditions.

3. A Procurement Card (P-Card) may be used for emergency or non-routine purchases, however, unless you're buying from a University-wide contracted supplier, P-Card purchases do not provide you with the University's contractual protections. No other method is permitted. Reimbursement for purchased goods via Travel and Business Expense Report is only permitted for emergency purchases, such as when equipment breaks while traveling on business.

May I place orders with suppliers using their web/internet based order processing tools rather than using University systems?

No. It is against University Policy to enter into purchase agreements or place orders using any other method except the PantherExpress System or the P-Card. Any other system may expose the University to terms and conditions that are not in agreement with our own. Please contact Purchasing Services if you have unique circumstances.

May I purchase goods on Ebay or Amazon?

Yes, but it is not recommended. Presently, there is no policy that prohibits purchases from EBay or Amazon that are legitimate, prudent, and otherwise not in violation of any existing University purchasing, P-Card, or other policy. Generally, while purchases of under $10,000 do not need competitive bidding, it is in a department's best interest to conduct due diligence in all cases to ensure that the lowest total cost of ownership is achieved. This would include salary dollars spent shopping for items; the risks of purchasing from unknown suppliers;, including buying "gray market" products that seem new, but are actually being repurchased and do not have warranties;
receiving damaged goods and the difficulty in getting replacements or refunds. Also, Purchasing may not be able to provide any assistance if a problem develops with a non-contracted supplier. The ultimate costs can far outweigh any immediate perceived savings.

From a departmental policy standpoint, Purchasing Services strongly recommends that departments require that their buyers comply with Policy 05-02-15 to use contracted suppliers and that PantherExpress System (formerly PantherBuy) be used if the product is available there.

I understand that Amazon now charges sales tax in Pennsylvania. How do I ensure that Amazon does not tax my University purchase since the University is exempt from sales tax?

The University does not have a main account with Amazon that covers all University purchases. Thus, any department that wishes to order from Amazon must establish a department-specific account and be sure that the account is configured as tax-exempt by applying to and visiting this site. You will need to provide a copy of the University’s PA Exemption Certificate.
Purchase Orders

How do I process a purchase order?

A University of Pittsburgh purchase order may be generated only through PantherExpress System. No other forms may be used, including forms internally-created by a department. Purchase orders or purchase order numbers are never to be given verbally to a supplier. They must be transmitted to a supplier in writing through PantherExpress System.

Use of the proper forms is important for several reasons:

  • These forms ensure the University is legally protected from defective equipment, poor supplier performance, late deliveries, and insurance related matters.
  • The forms ensure compliance with the University's Board of Trustees resolutions regarding authority to sign contracts.
  • Unauthorized methods, especially verbal orders, lead to incorrect orders, late or no delivery, and invoice discrepancies.

What is the accepted procedure for the submitting PantherExpress System requisitions?

  • All requisitions must be submitted electronically through the PantherExpress System.
  • All requisitions must have supporting documentation attached when the requisition is created in the PantherExpress System.
  • Requisitions lacking proper supporting documentation will be returned to the requesting department.
Selecting Suppliers

Are the companies listed in the PantherExpress System considered University-wide contracted suppliers?

Not all suppliers listed in the PantherExpress System are considered University-wide contracted suppliers. These suppliers were selected through a rigorous evaluation process and consultation with University product advisory groups. These suppliers offer competitive pricing, high quality products, and outstanding customer service. Non-contracted suppliers listed in the PantherExpress System are considered approved for use with the exception of goods/services offered by University-wide Contracted Suppliers.

Am I restricted in selecting suppliers?

University Policy AO 30 requires the use of University-wide contracted suppliers, when available, for the product being purchased.

Can I place orders with suppliers using their web/internet based order processing tools rather than using University systems?

No. It is against University Policy to enter into purchase agreements or place orders using any other method except the PantherExpress System or the P-Card. Any other system may expose the University to terms and conditions that are not in agreement with our own. Please contact PantherExpress Customer Service if you feel there is a unique need.

How do I add/reactivate a supplier or make changes to an existing supplier?

Visit this page for more information about adding a supplier or making changes to an existing supplier.

Should I use a Diverse Business Enterprise (DBE) even if there is a University-wide contracted supplier?

Generally, no, the first choice in supplier selection is always to use a contracted supplier. If the University-wide contracted supplier happens to be a DBE, then it would be ideal to use this DBE supplier. The process for determining University-wide contracted suppliers considers price, quality, delivery, service and business management in an effort to obtain the best overall value for the University.

At the outset of this process every effort is made to include qualified DBE’s for consideration. If it is discovered that the DBE represents the best overall value to the University during this process, then it is awarded University-wide contracted supplier status.

There are several DBE suppliers that are also University-wide contracted suppliers. You can find these University-wide contracted DBE suppliers on the University-wide contracted supplier directory, utilizing the DBE column. If a DBE is not listed as a University-wide contracted supplier, then select a suitable non-DBE supplier from the University-wide contracted supplier directory.

If you are a researcher attempting to fulfill the requirements of a subcontracting plan, consider using one of the DBE non-contracted suppliers.

When do I use a Supplier Verification Form?

Use a Supplier Verification Form to provide PantherExpress Customer Service with the required information to establish a new supplier or change an existing supplier the supplier database. When submitting Supplier Verification Forms to PantherExpress Customer Service, please review the instructions and adhere to the following guidelines:

  • Check the DUNS field. If the supplier completes page 1 of the Supplier Verification Form, it is the department’s responsibility to make sure that the DUNS field is complete.
  • Only complete Supplier Verification Forms will be processed.

How long does it take to activate a Supplier Verification Form in the PantherExpress System?

We have worked diligently to ensure fast supplier activation in the PantherExpress system. The turnaround time for a "clean" (i.e. complete, accurate, and legible) Supplier Verification Form is 24 hours. However, if there are questions about the Supplier Verification Form, or if information is missing, it can take longer for activation to occur.
Service Agreements

How do I process a Services Agreement?

If the service provider is a resident of the United States, use the Services Agreement Checklist to guide you through the process.

May University departments contract with individuals for services to be performed outside the United States?

Every country has its own contracting, employment, tax, social insurance and other laws that may increase contracting complexity affect the operations of your international project, or result in hidden costs to your department. In addition, the University's standard services agreements and other standard agreements, which generally work well when contracting inside the United States, often do not work well with international service providers.

We are here to help you sort through those complexities and to create an agreement that works well for your international project or program.

Please contact your procurement specialist as soon as you believe there is a possibility that you may need to contract for services outside of the United States. Purchasing Services will facilitate all international service agreements.

Visit this page for more information.

Sole Source Justification

What is a Directed or Sole Source Justification?

University policy FN 05 requires competitive bidding for all purchases of goods or services greater than $10,000 with the exception of directed or sole source purchases. University policy FN 08 governs the use of directed or sole source purchases.

What is the Directed or Sole Source Justification Form, and Where is it?

University purchasers must use the Directed or Sole Source Justification form to request an exception to competitive bidding by stating the reasons a particular supplier is a directed or sole source.

Who can sign as an approver on the Directed or Sole Source Justification Form?

Only deans, department directors and department chairs ("3Ds") may sign as the approver on the Directed or Sole Source Justification Form.

While many people at the University consider the Directed or Sole Source Justification Form to be just another “purchasing form”, it is rather a document that is confirming the fact that the requester does not have any personal financial conflicts with the requested supplier. Only deans, department directors or department chairs would have this information and may sign as approvers on the Directed or Sole Source Justification form as they are the only individuals who will know the personal financial conflicts of faculty and staff and thus it is not an administrative duty and cannot be delegated. Thus associate deans, assistant chairs and others with similar titles may not sign
as the approver on the Directed or Sole Source Justification Form. Also, only those directors who are the highest ranking individuals in their departments are considered “department directors,” for example, the Director of the Payroll Department or the Executive Director of the DLAR. Thus an “administrative director” or “finance director,” for example, may not sign as a department director.

The approver must sign affirmatively recognizing and acknowledging 1) the financial conflict (and how it is being managed) or lack of in his or her area of responsibility and 2) that University business is being directed to a particular company. These items are important as conflicts of interest and competitive bidding are serious concerns for both the University and federal agencies.

Supplier Verification Form

What is a Supplier Verification Form, and what is its function?

The Supplier Verification form is to be used to provide Purchasing Services and Payment Processing with required information to establish a new supplier or change an existing supplier in the PantherExpress System.

What if my contract has payment terms other than net 30?

The University's payment terms are net 30. If your contract requires payment terms other than net 30, send an email to Customer Service.

Why is a DUNS number required on the Supplier Verification Form?

The University as a large recipient of federal funds regularly must report to the federal government and other industry groups (Star Metrics, for example) its spending with suppliers. This spending with University suppliers often must be reported by the suppliers’ DUNS numbers. Thus it’s necessary to record University suppliers’ DUNS numbers in the University supplier database in order to facilitate the required reporting. (Often suppliers will have multiple DUNS numbers, the University requires the DUNS number of the supplier’s headquarters location.) Bona fide independent contractors who are providing their social security numbers on a W-9 are not required to obtain a DUNS number.

Are there any special commodities or products that require that additional supporting documentation be attached to the Supplier Verification Form?

Yes. In order to add new suppliers of biological materials or laboratory chemicals to the supplier database, you will need to follow this process