Requirements for ordering PPE and COVID-19 Mitigation Supplies
The requirements and process outlined below will ensure the most efficient and cost-effective access to these supplies as well as proper accounting for potential Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) or Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act cost recovery:
- Only departments/areas whose buildings have been cleared for occupancy should place orders.
- Personnel must be available to accept deliveries at the building/facility.
- These supplies are only for University business, not for home use.
- In consideration of all areas needing these supplies, orders should be limited to the estimated quantity of supplies that departments/areas will need for immediate use over a one-month period.
- Specific RCs/areas, including regional campuses, may have additional guidance. Please coordinate with your relevant purchasing operations’ point of contact.
Determining the Types of PPE and COVID-19 Mitigation Supplies Needed
Common areas, classrooms, and lecture halls will be cleaned by Facilities Management, and therefore, departments do not need to purchase supplies for these areas. University members may be required to clean or disinfect areas not managed by Facilities Management during the COVID-19 pandemic, such as individual offices. Guidance on responsibilities for cleaning and disinfection is detailed in the University Standards and Guidelines for Cleaning, Disinfection, and Hygiene.
Departments can determine the types of supplies appropriate for tasks performed in their offices and other non-public areas by referring to the University’s Standards & Guidelines: PPE, Face Coverings, and Personal Hygiene.
Processes for Purchasing PPE and COVID-19 Mitigation Supplies
Policies and procedures for the purchase of other types of products and services NOT addressed below have not changed. For any questions, contact Customer Service.
- COVID-19 Mitigation Supplies and PPE for General Use by All Departments/Areas (Non-research/Clinical)
PPE and COVID-19 mitigation supplies needed by all departments to clean or disinfect areas not managed by Facilities Management (see Cleaning, Disinfection and Hygiene Standards and Guidelines), such as disinfectant in the form of wipes or spray bottles as well as hand sanitizer, will be continually available from several University-wide contracted suppliers through the PantherExpress System. Supply chain updates from University-wide contracted suppliers are posted online each week.
The ordering and distribution process for PPE and COVID-19 mitigation supplies for general use by all departments/areas is as follows:
- All items should be purchased through the PantherExpress System (or PRISM as appropriate for each regional campus).
- Orders of PPE and COVID-19 mitigation supplies should use the dedicated subcode 8119 for COVID-19 costs.
- When available, the following should be purchased from the dedicated supply available through University-wide contracted supplier, SUPRA: 8-ounce bottles of hand sanitizer, containers of 80 disinfecting wipes, reusable face coverings with a clear panel, and nitrile globes for general office use.
- These supplies are available to all departments/areas for non-research/non-clinical use, including the regional campuses. These supplies can be purchased through the PantherExpress System at the cost of $0.01/unit through August 14, 2021. Visit this page for more information.
- University departments should first attempt to obtain COVID-19 mitigation supplies from University-wide Contracted Suppliers.
- University departments may obtain COVID-19 mitigation supplies from non-University-wide Contracted Suppliers if the University-wide contracted suppliers are unable to provide the requested items within a timely manner or at reasonable prices.
University departments with unique purchasing requirements that may or may not have local inventories such as Housing, Facilities, Division of Laboratory Animal Resources, School of Dental Medicine and the regional campuses are encouraged to work with Purchasing Services but may place their own large orders directly with suppliers to accommodate departmental needs.
Availability of COVID-19 Mitigation Supplies & PPE for Non-research/non-clinical Use from University-wide Contracted Suppliers:
The following suppliers generally have these items available for purchase through the PantherExpress System. A full listing of University-wide contracted suppliers is available here.
University-wide Contracted Supplier
Hand Sanitizer (8 oz bottles)
SUPRA/Office Depot – a supply dedicated to the University is available for a cost of $0.01/bottle to departments for general office use (non-research/non-clinical) through August 14, 2021. Visit this page for more information.
Reusable face coverings with a clear panel to support inclusivity
Nitrile gloves for general office use only (100 gloves/box)
SUPRA/Office Depot – here are currently nitrile gloves for general office use only available for departments to purchase for $17.28 /box, while supplies last. It is important to note that these gloves are for general office use only and they have not been tested against chemicals or biological materials. Visit this page for more information.
3-ply disposable barrier masks
Hand sanitizer stands
Check with Facilities Management about availability first.
* - Availability of these items fluctuates on a regular basis depending upon current conditions.
- Purchasing PPE and COVID-19 Mitigation Supplies for Research/Clinical Use from the Dietrich School Stockroom (DSS)
PPE and specialized COVID-19 mitigation supplies for research or clinical use on the University’s Pittsburgh campus that have been difficult to acquire during the COVID-19 pandemic are available through a centralized inventory managed by the DSS. PPE and specialized COVID-19 mitigation supplies may be withdrawn from the DSS for research/clinical use only. Only departments/areas on the Pittsburgh campus may withdraw supplies from the DSS. Regional campus needs should be coordinated through each regional campus’ central purchasing operations.
When requesting supplies via the DSS, consider:
- The list of in-stock supplies from the centralized DSS inventory will be updated regularly.
- If PPE and related supplies are out of stock from the DSS inventory:
- Ordering personnel should determine if they can wait for the item to be re-stocked without impacting work. Expected delivery times may be available, but due to the pandemic, only delivery date estimates can be provided; and
- If it is critical to continue work and ordering personnel cannot wait for the item to be re-stocked, then departments may purchase these supplies directly from suppliers, if available, using subcode 8119 for COVID-19 costs and have them shipped directly. Individual purchases of routine PPE will result in higher costs to departments.
- For specialty PPE and supplies that are not in short supply and which are not included in the DSS inventory, departments should purchase these items and have them shipped directly as they have in the past.
University departments with unique purchasing requirements that normally maintain local inventories, such as the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources and the School of Dental Medicine Clinic, are encouraged to work with the DSS for ordering but may also place their own large orders directly with suppliers to accommodate departmental needs.
Supply chain updates from University-wide contracted suppliers are posted here each week.
Effective October 1, 2020 research areas should begin charging the full cost of PPE and COVID-19 mitigation supplies to grant accounts.
For those areas which have grants that do not normally utilize PPE for their research, but will incur such costs due to COVID-19, the costs should be charged to operating (non-research) accounts. A process to request reimbursement for such costs from central University funds is available on the CFO Sharepoint site. Directors of Administration should consult with their Associate Dean for Research to determine the research group(s) to which this applies.
The ordering and distribution process for PPE and COVID-19 mitigation supplies for research/clinical use from the DSS is as follows:
- If you have not previously used a department or unit account to order from the Dietrich School Stockroom, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the 6088 subcode to have your account activated.
- Use the PantherExpress System (accessed from my.pitt.edu) to place your order through the Dietrich School Stockroom Punchout. Visit this page for detailed instructions.