See latest COVID-19 impacts related to Purchasing, Payments & Travel

Travel Advances

The University Travel Card is the preferred payment method while traveling for the University because they provide the most convenient and safest way to pay for travel expenses. For safety reasons, the traveler should carry as little cash as possible. However, travel advances are available by exception when the traveler is in an area of the world where the Travel Card is not accepted or for extended global travel.

Travel Advances are subject to University Policy FN 27, Travel Advances. The traveler may not have any outstanding prior travel advances at the time of issue. Your options for requesting a cash payment while traveling are as follows:

Travel Card ATM Withdrawals

Travel Cards can be opened for ATM withdrawals by submitting a change request.

Requirements: You must submit a change request form and be travelling to an area with ATM availability.

Instructions: Complete and submit a Travel Card Change Request Form to request the ability to make ATM withdrawals. Write "ATM Withdrawals" on the line for part 5, "Other Change."

Processing Time: Allow three to four business days to process the change request.

Withdrawal Fees: ATM withdrawals are subject to 2% transaction fees; a foreign transaction fee of 2%, if applicable, will also be applied. Both types of fees are able to be expensed.

Direct Deposit

If you think that you will need to replenish cash in-travel and the area you are going to does not have Citizen's-partnered banks but does have a bank that partners with your personal bank, then you may request a transfer of departmental funds into your personal bank account so you may withdraw cash as needed. Allow three to four days to process the transfer; withdrawal fees apply.

Requirements: You must have a bank account with a large global banking network, and your departmental administrator must make the request on your behalf using the Travel Advance Request Form.

Instructions: use the Travel Advance Form (see instructions below) to request the transfer; write "Global Traveler Direct Deposit" on the form's payee signature line; and follow the submission instructions shown on the form.

Processing Time: Allow three to four days to process the transfer.

Withdrawal Fees: Fees are variable based on the traveler's individual bank.


The Travel Advance form is available through University Business Forms (UBF).

Requirements: the check must be obtained prior to your departure and your departmental administrator must make the request on your behalf using the Travel Advance Request Form.

Instructions: Sign in to Pitt Passport at > select Forms Library from the left-hand navigation > select the Travel Advance form, then follow the submission instructions on the form. 

Processing Time:  Allow three to four days to process the travel advance. 

Fees: There are no fees associated with requesting a travel advance.