See latest COVID-19 impacts related to Purchasing, Payments & Travel

University Travel Card

Beginning in the Fall of 2022, the current institutional purchasing credit cards, the University Travel Card and P-card, will be replaced by a singular payment method: OneCard. Visit this page to learn more.

The Travel Card is an institutional purchasing Mastercard credit card administered through Citizens Bank. The University Travel Card is the preferred payment method for all purchases of University travel, booking, or other business entertainment expenses in accordance with Policy FN 26, Travel Card. It may also be used for: conference registration fees, journal subscriptions, membership fees or dues for professional organizations, and certain business entertainment expenses such as University-sponsored receptions or events. Review this payment methods comparison table for guidance on selecting between the University Travel Card and other payment methods for purchases. All University employees are eligible to apply for the Travel Card, visit this page for information about obtaining one. 


The University Travel Card works in conjunction with Concur and Anthony Travel to provide you with convenient hassle-free Travel and Expense Management. Visit the Travel & Expense Management Program Benefits page for full details. 

When To Use Your Travel Card

The University Travel Card is the preferred payment method for all purchases related to booking or while in travel status. It is also used for select other expenses identified in the list below.

  • Airfare, baggage fees
  • Lodging
  • In-travel postage and other transmittals such as facsimiles and telegrams
  • Dues, professional memberships, registrations, and subscriptions
  • Group travel arrangements
  • Emergency goods and services while in travel
  • Actual meal costs
  • Car rental and ground transportation
  • Telephone charges
  • Share services such as Uber, Lyft, and Airbnb
  • Business Meals
  • Wi-Fi costs while in-flight or during lodging

To help cardholders better understand when to use the Travel Card, as opposed to the P-Card or PantherExpress System, review this comparison chart to identify the type of purchase and what payment method may be used. Please pay particular attention to any qualifiers, such as "in travel status."

Travel Card Information

Chip and Pin

This is a chip and pin card and the pin may be required to complete the transaction at the point of sale. The pin is most commonly used outside the United States but you may be asked for it domestically, especially in high tourist areas and restaurants. when used, the pin replaces the signature and is a more secure payment method that provides protection from fraud.

Pin Number 

You will receive the four-digit pin number in the mail. It is very important that your remember this number. If you forget or need to change your pin number, the cardholder (not their delegate) should contact Citizens Bank as outlined below.

Calling Citizens Bank Customer Service

You will be asked to identify yourself through a verification process.  The information you may be asked for includes, but is not limited to the following:

  • Security code (in lieu of Mother’s Maiden Name): PITT + the last 4 digits of your SSN
  • Address that appears on your Citizens profile including correct zip code (hint: this address appears on your new card documentation.  It may differ from what you put on your application)
  • Credit limit

Cardholder Customer Service

Toll-free Phone Number:   


Outside the U.S., Canada and the Virgin Islands, call collect: 1-203-551-3778

Hours of Operation: 24-hour, 7-day-a-week

Call Cardholder Customer Service to:

  • Check your balance
  • Change your PIN

Report Lost/Stolen Accounts

Toll-free Phone Number: 1-888-798-4600

Hours of Operation: 24-hour, 7-day-a-week

Self Identification Required: PITT + last 4 digits of your Social Securit Number

Customer Protection – Fraud/Watch Status

Toll-free Phone Number: 1-888-333-0114

Hours of Operation: 24-hour, 7-day-a-week

Call Customer Protection to:

  • Report Fraud
  • Return a call regarding a Fraud or Watch status placed on an account

Cash Withdrawals and Emergency ATM Access

The Travel Card is the preferred payment method while traveling for the University because they provide the most convenient and safest way to pay for travel expenses. For safety reasons, the traveler should carry as little cash as possible. However, travel advances/cash withdrawals are available by exception when the traveler is in an area of the world where the Travel Card is not accepted or for extended global travel. Visit this page for more information about Cash Withdrawals and Emergency ATM Access.

Access and Training

All University employees are eligible to apply for a University Travel Card. Visit this page to learn more about obtaining a Travel Card, as well as training resources. 

University-hosted Conference and Event Payments

The University Travel Card may be used to pay for University-hosted or–sponsored events or receptions. If using a Travel Card to purchase event services, including space and food, a contract must still be established in the PantherExpress System.

Visit the Conferences & Events page for information about these payment circumstances and the necessary procedures.

Foreign Transactions with Chip and Pin 

Many foreign transactions require use of both the chip and your pin. Your pin is mailed separately to you, often in advance of receiving the actual credit card. If you have lost or forgotten your pin, please contact Citizen’s Bank. You will need to answer a number of questions about your credit history to prove your identity, including questions like what was your first credit card, or what was the make and model of your first car. 

You may also need your zip code. Please check your credit card statement to verify your zip code. In most cases it is not the general University zip code of 15260, but rather the actual postal code for the location of your building. You can also find your daily and monthly expense limits on your credit card statement. If you have not yet received a statement because you haven’t yet used your Travel Card, please submit an inquiry to Customer Service to request your expense limits. 

Foreign Transaction Fees 

The current University Travel Card is subject to exchange rates and foreign transaction fees. Please expect 3% of transaction cost on most transactions. Visit this page for more information, including the interim process for reimbursement to ensure that the traveler's department is not charged for these fees.