The University of Pittsburgh is committed to fostering a diverse supplier base. The Supplier Diversity Program or Diverse Business Enterprise (DBE) Program, is designed to ensure that businesses of diverse backgrounds and ownership have the opportunity to become valued suppliers as a means of improving the general economic well-being of the community and functioning of our local and national economies.
The University’s Supplier Diversity Programs strive to increase the availability of meaningful business opportunities afforded to diverse suppliers by increasing the level of goods and services provided to the University by diverse business enterprises.
University-wide Contracted DBE suppliers
View the directory of contracted suppliers, and filter by “DBE”.
Non-contracted DBE Suppliers
This includes suppliers who have requested inclusion on our list and for whom we are able to verify a DBE status through a certifying organization.
Many of the Diverse Business Enterprise (DBE) suppliers listed below have been certified by one or more of the recognized certifying organizations (Small Business Administration, Commonwealth of PA, Allegheny County, Port Authority of Allegheny County, Western Pennsylvania Minority Supplier Development Council, National Association of Women Business Owners). Some suppliers have chosen to self-certify as permitted under federal guidelines.
The suppliers included in the table below are recommended when DBE Contracted Suppliers are not available and when research grants require the utilization of DBE suppliers.
Should you have requirements for commodities not listed here, please email Jennifer Barnes, Diversity and Sustainability Coordinator.
- Listing of Non-Contracted Suppliers
Commodity/ServiceSupplierCertifying OrganizationAdvertisementEMSDCArtworkWBENCFacilities SuppliesPA UCPFacilities SuppliesEMSDCLaundry ServiceEMSDCMailing ServicesContact: Molly Wawrzynsk, Owner
Services Offered: Direct Mailing Services;
Pickup & Delivery' Data Conversion & PreparationPurchasing Method: PantherExpress System - Standard FormPA UCPOffice Technology/ CopiersSBAOffice Technology/ CopiersHi-Tech Laser Systems
Computer & related products (HP)PhotographyFred Kenderson
Ph: 412-965-9907EMSDCPrinting and GraphicsHart Printing & Lithographing Co.
Ph: 412-481-9100WBENCPrinting and GraphicsEMSDCScientific ChemicalsScientific ChemicalsSBAScientific Supplies & EquipmentDistrict Healthcare
Ph: 301-918-0200SBAScientific Supplies & EquipmentNAWBOScientific Supplies & EquipmentFrancis Betancourt | 301-309-8310 x 1749Nicole McConnell Hrescak | 301-3098310 x 1744Ernest M. Glover | 609-680-1642SBA & EMSDCScientific & Medical SuppliesContact: Sylvia Holmes
Fax: 215-477-2526SBA & EMSDCScientific & Medical SuppliesContact: Frank Meleca, President
Ph: 800-388-0166Services - ConsultingNAWBOServices - ConsultingCNI Inc.
IT consultingSBAServices - ConsultingConformance Technologies
Engineering & technical supportNAWBOServices - ConsultingEnvironmental Data Validation Inc.
Environmental, public health, scientific research and consulting services.Contact: Dr. Maxine Wright-Walters
PA UCPServices - ConsultingSBA
EMSDCServices - ConsultingKoryak Consulting, Inc.
IT consultingEMSDCServices - ConsultingLogix-Guru
IT consulting and engineering managementEMSDCServices - ConsultingMulti-Lynx Companies, Inc
Civil engineering, Computer information systems and technologyEMSDCServices - ConsultingSpectraGenetics, LLC
GenotypingServices - ConsultingAdvantus Engineers
EngineersSBAServices - ConsultingMcFarland Technology
Software DevelopmentSBAServices - ConsultingGraphics 22 Signs, Inc.
Signs & trophiesPA UCPServices - ConsultingSci-Tek Consultants
Engineering consultantsPA UCPServices - ConsultingZoltun Design
Graphic Design, Marketing, Website DevelopmentContact: Judy Field: firstname.lastname@example.orgServices - MovingEMSDC & SBA
Tools for Finding DBE Suppliers
PRISM Search DBE Suppliers Tool
This tool lists all available suppliers from whom any individual purchaser across the University has purchased and whose Supplier Verification Form indicated a diversity business enterprise status. It does not indicate whether the supplier is contracted or non-contracted, however most will be non-contracted and require the use of a Non-Catalog Standard Form for goods purchases or a Services Agreement or Contract Entry Form for services purchases in the PantherExpress System.
To access the search tool enter the PRISM application from your my.pitt.edu page and select "Pitt Supplier View." The link to "Search DBE Suppliers" will appear. You can also search for either diversity or DBE from my.pitt.edu or find the link in the PantherExpress System welcome messages.
You can use the tool to search for specific suppliers to confirm status or view all suppliers by DBE designation. This tool is useful for completing your Small Business Subcontracting Plan.
Questions about the tool should be directed to Pitt IT's Helpdesk or 412-624-HELP (4357).
- PA Unified Certification Program (PA UCP) - the PAUCP online database is a list of any company that has been certified as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Use this system to search for DBEs using keywords or NAICS codes. You can also search by city or zip code for location-based inquiries.
- African American Chamber of Commerce of Western PA (AACCWP) - the AACCWP is a regional organization that provides a directory of their members on this online tool. Most AACCWP members are local, Black-owned companies, but several larger majority supporters are listed in the membership directory as well.
- Cocoapreneur - is a crowd-sourced, online directory of Black-owned businesses in Pittsburgh. This is a great tool to use if you’re searching for boutique, creative firms or want to conduct a search of businesses within specific neighborhoods.
The University of Pittsburgh accepts Disadvantaged, Minority-owned, Woman-owned, Veteran-owned, LGBTQ-owned, and HUBZone certifications from several certifying organizations. Contact each resource directly for instructions and more information.
- List of Certifying Organizations
- Pennsylvania Unified Certification Program (PA UCP)
- Free, public, DBE certification administered locally through Allegheny County Department of Minority, Women and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise
- Visit PA UCP Certification
- National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- National organization with regional chapters
- Visit MBE Certification
- SBA 8(a) certification run by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- This certification is for small businesses owned by socially and economically disadvantaged people or entities
- Visit certify.SBA.gov
- Women-owned Small Business Certification managed by the SBA
- Visit certify.sba.gov
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
- Certification for woman-owned businesses
- Visit wbenc.org
- LGBTQ-owned business
- Certification managed through the National LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- Visit nglcc.org
- Service Disabled Veteran or Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB/VOSB)
- Vets First Verification Program run by the Department of Veteran Affairs
- Visit va.gov
- Historically Underutilized Business Zone certification for businesses in economically depressed communities administered by the SBA
- Visit certify.sba.gov
- Regional Public Certifying Agency: if your company is based outside of Allegheny County, we suggest contacting your city, county, or state department of transportation authorities for information about public certification programs.
- Pennsylvania Unified Certification Program (PA UCP)
Diversity Business Enterprise (DBE)
A "Diversity Business Enterprise" is a business owned/operated by a minority that is at least fifty-one percent (51%) unconditionally owned by one or more minority individuals or women who are both socially and economically diverse, or a publicly owned business that has at least fifty-one percent (51%) of its stock unconditionally owned by one or more such individuals and that has its management and daily business controlled by one or more such individuals. Individuals who certify that they are a member of named groups, i.e. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives (Eskimos and Aleuts) and Asian and Pacific Island Americans are to be considered socially and economically diverse.
Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)
A "Minority Business Enterprise" is intended to mean a business concern owned by one or more minority individuals that is at least fifty-one percent (51%) unconditionally owned by one or more minority individuals, or a publicly owned business that has at least fifty-one percent (51%) of its stock unconditionally owned by one or more such individuals and that has its management and daily business controlled by one or more such individuals. Individuals who certify that they are a member of named groups, i.e. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives (Eskimos and Aleuts) and Asian and Pacific Island Americans are to be considered socially and economically disadvantaged.
Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE)
A "Women-Owned Business Enterprise" is intended to mean a business concern owned by one or more women that is at least fifty-one percent (51%) unconditionally owned by one or more women, or a publicly owned business that has at least fifty-one percent (51%) of its stock unconditionally owned by one or more such individuals and that has its management and daily business controlled by one or more such individuals.